History of the Parish
St. John's, Carrington, owes its foundation to local Banker and Landowner, Ichabod Wright, of Mapperley Hall, who not only gave the land and largely paid for the church, but also partly endowed it.
Building commenced on May 12th 1841 when Wright laid the first stone.
The Church was consecrated on April 6 1843 by Dr. John Kaye the Bishop of Lincoln, in whose diocese it then lay. St John's was a district church, a chapel-of-ease serving the mother church of St Leodegarius , Basford.
A 25ft long chancel along with and organ chamber on the north side was added in 1873 The Window formerly at the east end was shortened and inserted into the east end of the chancel.
In the mid 1890’s the gallery was taken down and new vestries built. A door in the west wall was blocked up. The high deal pews were removed and replaced by chairs. Pew rents were abolished in 1897.
It did not become a parish in its own right until 1902.
After the First World War in 1923-4 new vestries, a north aisle and a Lady Chapel were added to the existing building. The Lady Chapel contained a Roll of Honour of all 176 parishioners who lost their lives in the Great War. The Roger Yates organ was installed in 1949.
The 21st century brought new challenges to the congregation. Both the church and hall were in need of extensive renovation and upgrading to meet modern standards.
Following Mass on 27th July 2008 all services moved to the hall and work commenced to redevelop the church building. Services returned to the church in July 2009 and the hall sold. A substantial amount of the costs being met by generous bequests from two parishioners Mary Dunnicliffe and Elsie Ellingworth.
Following this major redevelopment the parish is able to provide church and community facilities' within the one building. The result is a completely new liturgical space in the nave, with an (almost central) stone altar set on a stone sanctuary area, and all-new liturgical furniture.
The Lady Chapel being relocated to what was the chancel and at the west end a “minstrels, gallery”, created to house the acclaimed Roger Yates organ which has been restored and enlarged.
In the north aisle of the church there is 2-storey development of rooms and community spaces, the upstairs large hall with commercial-standard catering facilities. New toilet facilities and a lift have also been installed and on the ground floor the rooms have access to a kitchenette . A new entrance to the building has been created providing a new welcoming area along with a parish office.