Private William Henry Barker, Age 60 of the Royal defence corp was buried under the name Henry Barker, and listed as H Barker on theWar Memorial. The grave is near the Loscoe Road entrance.
Lance Bombardier Ernest Lambert Cookson, of the Royal Field Artillery He is buried in the old churchyard, to the south side of the church
Stoker Henry Clifford Dutton, Age 21 of the Royal Navy.
Private William Fisher, Age 36 of the West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales Own).
Private Guy Clement Edward Granger, Age 41 of the Lincolnshire Regiment and not listed on the War Memorial.
Lance Corporal Alfred Hallam, Age 31 of the Kings Royal Rifle corp.
Second Lieutenant William Frank Howett, of the Royal Air force has a granite cross erected by his family rather than the CWGC white headstone. His name is spelt Howitt on the War Memorial
Lance Corporal Edgar Mayfield, Age 34 of the Cheshire Regiment.
Sapper Thomas Charles Miller, Thomas, Age 38 of the Royal Engineers.
Private John Thomas Parkin, Age 41 of the Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry and not listed on the War Memorial.
Lance Corporal Charles Robert Thompson, Age 28 of the Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby Regiment).
Colour Sergeant Joseph James Whelband, of The Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby Regiment).
St. John's, Carrington, owes its foundation to local Banker and Landowner, Ichabod Wright, of Mapperley Hall, who not only gave the land and largely paid for the church, but also partly endowed it
Carrington is called Carrington for the following reason. Mr. Wright bought the land in 1825 as an investment from the first Lord Carrington and decided to name it after the vendor. Building development of high density housing commenced and was so rapid that in ten vears the population had risen to 6,500. In 1833 Wright gave land for the building of the National Church School at the corner of Selkirk Street and along with other members of the Wright family gave £320 towards the cost of £700.
In 1886 the Archbishop of York authorised church services to be held in this room, which continued to be used for a further 7 years. The first service was on May 29th 1836 with the Rev. Dr. Bosworth taking spiritual charge of the district.
Carrington needed a church of its own. Wright set about getting it and along with three other Carrington men, Thomas Sewell, a lace manufacturer, William Jarman, a farmer and John Champion of the Carrington Brewery formed a committee to oversee the building of the church. Building commenced on May 12th 1841 when Wright laid the first stone.
The Church was consecrated on April 6 th 1843 by Dr. John Kaye the Bishop of Lincoln, in whose diocese it then lay. St John's was a district church, a chapel-
The architect William Surplice built a simple stone nave measuring 83 x 38ft, without aisles, chancel or tower, but with a bell turret and a porch at the south west corner. Inside was a gallery and high deal pews. The nave could accommodate 350, plus room for 120 children in the gallery at the west end.
A stained glass window showing Jesus with arms raised was installed at the south east end of the church dedicated to the memory of Ichabod Wright by his tenth daughter Sophia Lydia. He died at Mapperley in 1862 in his 96th year.
A 25ft long chancel along with and organ chamber on the north side was added in 1873 (architects Jackson & Heazell). The Window formerly at the east end was shortened and inserted into the east end of the chancel. This window showing Christ on the cross, flanked by Mary and John is dedicated in memory of Ichabod Charles Wright the son of the founder who died in 1871. There are a number of Stained Glass windows and memorials many connected with but not exclusively to the Wright family within St. John’s.
In the mid 1890’s the gallery was taken down and new vestries built. A door in the west wall was blocked up. The high deal pews were removed and replaced by chairs. Pew rents were abolished in 1897.
There was a Church Institute in Carrington from c.1889, and a Parish Hall was built in 1893 as a result of the generosity of Elizabeth Lennon, one of the ‘better off' members of the congregation.
During the early years of the 20th century much of the Vicar's time and that of his parishioners was taken up with the quest for a new church in Carrington. After many years of packed congregations the PCC set up a committee to consider building a new, bigger church. A subscription list was started in 1908 and hundreds of parishioners contributed. The following year a site for a new church on the Loscoe Mount, with a charming view, was purchased at a cost of £660, for which an outlay of £10,000 was contemplated for its construction. A London architect, W .Curtis Green, won the competition for the design of the proposed new church . For several summers before the first World War services were held there, as a prelude to the building of a new church on the site.
The First World War intervened and, by 1920, the cost of a new building was far in excess of the money available. Instead, vestries, a north aisle and a Lady Chapel were added in 1923-
A faculty for a new pulpit was submitted in 1951 and for an oak lectern in 1956. Since 1921 there had been hopes of a screen but by the 1960's another barrier between priest and congregation was no longer fashionable. Instead, in 1975 a nave altar was installed.
The 21st century brought new challenges to the congregation. Both the church and hall were in need of extensive renovation and upgrading to meet modern standards. John Cunnington architects were appointed to investigate the possibility of providing all the needs of the community on one site
Following Mass on 27th July 2008 all services moved to the hall and work commenced to redevelop the church building. Services returned to the church in July 2009 and the hall sold. A substantial amount of the costs being met by generous bequests from two parishioners Mary Dunnicliffe and Elsie Ellingworth.
Following this major redevelopment the parish is able to provide church and community facilities' within the one building. The result is a completely new liturgical space in the nave, with an (almost central) stone altar set on a stone sanctuary area, and all-
The Lady Chapel being relocated to what was the chancel and at the west end a
“minstrels, gallery”, created to house the acclaimed Roger Yates organ which has been restored and enlarged.
In the north aisle of the church there is 2-
There is a bell turret on the west end of the nave. The bell was donated by Arthur Kett Barclay, Ichabod Wrigght’s son-
After storm damage in 1908 the stone turret was replaced by one with wooden louvres. The Bell was re hung with new fittings in 1978 by Taylor’s bell foundry of Loughborough.
In 2017 thanks to a bequest in memory of Barry Davis the bell housing was restored and upgraded with an electronic mechanism to enable the bell to be rung on a timer.
The Rev. H P H Burchell-
The organ now in our church was originally built for the house of a Mr A E Allen in Radcliffe-
Henry Groves of Nottingham (Jonathan Wallace) has effected a complete reconfiguring of the organ in a new case built by them (designed by the church architect after an idea from the Diocesan organ adviser, Paul Hale). A new building frame and Swell box have been constructed, along with a largely new wind system and blower. Additional stops are the Great and Pedal reed rank, the Swell Principal, Mixture and Oboe, and the Pedal Open Wood. Some of these materials are matching Yates ranks from his organ in Arnold Methodist Church and the Swell Oboe is from the Norman & Beard organ (1913) previously in Holy Trinity Church Southwell. A new, upgraded combination system has also been installed.
St John’s Garden
The churchyard of St John’s is a pleasant green space where people come to relax and walk their dogs. It was named St John’s Garden about 40 years ago when many of the grave stones were repositioned and paths established and benches set up.
The churchyard is now closed for new burials, although cremated remains can be interred in the area near the church. The City Council has a responsibility for the upkeep and we work with them and the local community to ensure gardens are well maintained.
Over the last two years improvements have been made by planting and pruning trees, re-
At St John’s we have two Great War memorials inside the church and 12 graves of servicemen who are buried in the churchyard.The service details of the 12 servicemen buried in St John’s Gardens details can be found on the CWGC website and they are:
In the entrance hall to the church, there is a bronze memorial plaque commemorating the 176 men of Sherwood and the Parish of Carrington. The memorial to the men who worked at the Thomas Forman factory on Hucknall Road was moved to the church after the factory closed down in 1999. The memorial is on the staircase